For the first proper post on my blog, I’ve decided to do the Bookish Facts About Me tag. This is one of my favourite posts to read on other people’s blogs so I thought it’d be a good place to start.
1. For as long as I can remember, books have been my favourite thing in the world! I could always be found with a book in my hand.
2. My favourite books as a child were the Rainbow Magic fairy books. That’s right, I didn’t love Harry Potter as a child; in fact I only read the first book when I was about 11.
3. Whilst we’re on the topic of Harry Potter, I have a confession to make … I haven’t actually finished reading the series *hides behind tower of books*. I know, I know its disgraceful. It’s one of my (many) goals to finish the series and I’m determined to do it soon. (UPDATE: Since publishing this post I’ve finished reading all of the Harry Potter books!! I am no longer disowned by my friends and family!)
4. The first YA book I ever read was Twilight and the series is still one of my favourites years later. I can still remember the joy of discovering my love for those sparkly vampires.
5. I’m a firm believer of reading the book before seeing the movie. But we all know that doesn’t always happen. The Lord of the Rings movies are some of my absolute faves, but I’ve still never read the books. (I’ve got two sets of the series waiting patiently on my shelf though).
6. I definitely have a problem with buying books. It’s an expensive obsession, but it’s definitely worth it to see all those pretty spines on my shelves.
7. My favourite author is V. E. Schwab. Her books are auto-buy works of art. I can’t get enough of her spellbinding worlds and mesmerising characters. She is the absolute best!
8. My favourite book of all time is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I love the whole idea of a circus made purely by magic, and the way the book is written is truly magical in itself. (I have so much more to say about this book but then the post would end up being a mile long).
9. I mostly read YA but sometimes I delve into the world of adult books. My favourite genres are fantasy (see multiple of the above facts) and contemporary but I do love a good murder mystery from time to time.
10. Even though I own a kindle, I definitely prefer hard copy books. There’s nothing like the smell and feel of a book.
11. I’m not very good at reading a whole series all in one. I much prefer reading different books in-between. I don’t want to get bored with the story so instead I draw the series out for as long as possible.
12. I often don’t like the second book in a series. I have no clue how this started, but I now think this is more than just coincidence, it seems to be an unbreakable habit.
13. If I have a book on my shelf that I really want to read, it often goes unread for a really long time because I don’t want to be disappointed. It’s a bit like Schrödinger’s cat analogy – if I don’t read the book, I won’t know if I love it or loath it!
14. I have a really large collection of bookmarks, but only use a small selection of them. Alongside that, if I don’t have a bookmark with me at that time, I will use anything that comes to hand – train tickets, tissues, bits of paper, even my phone! Under no circumstances will I ever dog-ear the pages!
15. I have a really bad habit of judging a book by its cover. I know it’s wrong but often if I don’t like the cover, I won’t buy that version of the book. I’ll just wait until I find another edition instead.
16. I have a whole folder on my phone dedicated to screenshots of books that I will probably never buy (most of them are saved because of their covers too).
17. I’m not a huge fan of series, I much prefer stand alone books. However some of my favourite books are part of series.
18. I despise love triangles! I don’t think they particularly add anything to the story and I just find them plain annoying.
19. I love signed copies of books! If I see a signed copy in a book store, I will almost always buy it (as long as the book sounds somewhat interesting to me, of course). For example, this past birthday I received a signed copy of On the Other Side by Carrie Hope Fletcher and I immediately loved it just a little bit more than I would have if it wasn’t signed. (It’s even personalised to me, how cool is that!!)
20. I love rearranging my bookshelves. I never seem to be happy with them, so if I have a spare moment I will most definitely be making changes to my shelves. I’m also rapidly running out of space for my books so I blame the rearranging obsession on that!
I hope this post was somewhat informative and interesting! I’d love to hear some bookish facts about you guys, however weird or wonderful!